Sunday, July 25, 2010

Image of God

"Then God said, 'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness'" "And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them."(NASB)

Last week if I'd read Genesis 1:26 and 27, my understanding of the verse would have been that somehow we are made to be a reflection of God--that somehow we are made very much like Him. Makes sense right? Now, I no longer am left wondering HOW!! No more somehow! I get in what way we are made in his image! (Though likely not the only way.) And in understanding how we are in his image, I am learning so much more profoundly what my daily purpose is and what God made me to be! Glorifying God and seeking holiness are no longer impossible generalities. I know in a practical way how to really pursue them. Without a tangible understanding of my identity: Being in the image of God--designed to live His character. (See My New Testimony.) I did not know how to turn away from focus on myself. With enthusiasm, my focus now is Christ's character! I know that it will always be a challenge to keep my focus right, but I am thrilled to understand and be excited about the direction of my vision.

My parenting frustrations are a great example. When my kids weren't doing what was "right," I would find myself prone to getting angry. The big issue was that I couldn't help being focused on
me. The bottom line was that I was angry because of how their misbehavior affected me. I couldn't figure out how to break us out of the cycle and I was losing hope. Now, that I've learned details about my true identity as a child of God, I am able to focus better on Christ's character. I'm now on day 4 of not yelling at my kids! My three year old daughter who has always been the queen of "I don't want to" and "but I want it" is regularly saying things like "I don't want to, but I will" and "I wanted to, but I didn't." (Not to mention her unbelievable bravery for going underwater at swimming lessons, and for sitting cooperatively for a drill and fill at the dentist!) And this is only a piece of my excitement!

The enemy was hiding the details of my identity from me. Make sure he hasn't done the same to you. If you aren't positive about the HOW either, when it comes to your being in the image of God, please read Morna's book, Identity Theft! It's not very long.

Written Tuesday, June 8, 2010



New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica

No comments: