Monday, July 12, 2010

Discovering Answers


Written Saturday June 5, 2010
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!
I had no idea the treasure of wealth that would be found!!!!!
The book is AWESOME!!

I began continuing on into
Identity Theft: A Crisis in Character the next day after I messaged you and had chewed on the intro. I could not leave the book alone the whole day. Worked through the whole thing, and read every chapter twice before I went to the next one. I got on a serious high from all the things I learned.

MY QUESTIONS
First Answer: Feeling like a big goof up because of dumb things I've done or things I wondered if I should have done. (I got this answer after the second chapter.)
Romans 8:1 and 28 "no condemnation" and "God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."(NASB)
I remembered something that happened to me back in 5th grade, being one of the things that would pop in my head and even still make me feel really ashamed and down every time. It seemed so dumb that it would still make me feel that way when it was so long ago. I was even able to rationalize how God may have used my failure to work for the good of those whom I may have hurt and for His purpose, but try as I might I couldn't shake my feelings of guilt for it, as well as many other failures. Looking back at Rom. 8:28 it began to really sink in that "God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."(NASB) I realized that while I thought I believed it, I didn't really BELIEVE it. The key has been this resulting prayer: Thank You, LORD, that I can believe You can do good things even with my failures, goof ups and stupidity. When those things come to my mind, help me to say "Praise You, LORD, for Your redeeming power that can even do wonders with my mess ups!" Ever since this prayer, random things have not been popping up in my head, and I'm noticing extra peace. Probably because I'm not wasting energy on worrying about what I may have messed up. I do care about mess ups, but I'm not worrying because I know my God is bigger than they are. He can squash them as effectively as the spider I got this morning.

Second Answer: How to pursue a strategy to teach character traits to my kids. I've been very frustrated with my parenting efforts of late. It seemed that no matter what, it all kept going back to the same thing of my losing my patience, and the kids finally doing what they were supposed to because Mom's mad. Not the picture I wanted whatsoever. There would be days that were better than others, but I was growing seriously and genuinely concerned that I could not pin down what "worked." I was not going to hand out spankings throughout their growing up years. I didn't like giving them when I was mad. if I didn't give them I was being inconsistent. I could not win. What delight filled my heart when I realized that this was a major subject in your book! The issue I had that prompted me to ask for the book was already answered after the second chapter. I had no idea I was going to get all this other stuff as a huge BONUS!! Affirmation of character qualities (p22-36 in Identity Theft) is so much FUN! I don't think I yelled at anybody today! Hallelujah!

In my excitement of having a purpose and plan, I was thinking about what I was going to need to do to get good at it. I became very aware that this was g
oing to be hard work. Immediately God said, "That's why I've been pointing you to 2 Pet. 1:1-11." The passage seemed important before, but it makes so much more sense to me now! It’s no longer a general list of things of which I don’t quite understand how they are supposed to fit together! (Quotes taken from NASB.)
"applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence (virtue)"---work hard so that your faith shows its substance by your character. (We obey because we trust Him; we are patient because we trust Him; we persevere because we trust Him; we are available because we trust Him; we are bold because we trust Him; we are joyful because we trust Him; we are truthful because we trust Him... )
"in your moral excellence, knowledge"--I can want to be morally excellent, but without the knowledge of what being morally excellent means, my desire doesn't do me much good.
"in your knowledge, self-control"--Knowing what's right is one thing, having the restraint and strength to do it is another. Sin is too easy.
"in your self-control, perseverance"--This was the big one that stood out to me. Victory once is great, but having to strive for victory over the same struggle over and over and over AND over gets very wearying and tiring. Perseverance takes God's strength big time.
"in your perseverance, godliness"--Now we're talking about the real exciting stuff here. This is getting to the goals of all the hard work, where I'm tasting that divine nature mentioned in verse 4: God's image in me. (See Genesis 1:27)
"in your godliness, brotherly kindness"--This is the outward result of committing to pursuing my identity (being in the image of God/being made to live the image or copy of His character).
"in your brotherly kindness, love"--Love truly is the divine nature of God. (1 John 4:8)

I find verse 3 very fascinating: "seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence." In my Bible (NASB) there is a note on the little word "by." It says that the word "by" could also possibly be translated "to." That would read, "seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us TO His own glory and excellence." Explanation: Through Trust in Him, we know His Power has given us everything we need for life and godliness, through truly Knowing His character who called us to His Glory and character / His Image. (See Amplified Bible version--It's cool.)

As I was typing that, I realized it highly resembles the explanation I put down for the formula you put out in your book (p41 in
Identity Theft).

Formula in book:
Right Source (God) + Right Character (Jesus Christ) + Right Power (Holy Spirit) + Right Response (Us) = Righteous Reflections (Our Identity)--as in reflections like an image in a mirror

My explanation of formula:
Trusting the Source of Life + Knowing the character of our Savior + Believing in the Redeeming and Resurrecting Power of the Spirit of God + Obeying Him = Glory to God / Our true image

Ephesians 3:17-20 "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by FAITH; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth KNOWLEDGE, that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the POWER that worketh in us to Him be the GLORY in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen. " (KJV)

What awesomeness!!!! Time to really start studying GOD'S CHARACTER!


Written Sunday June 6, 2010
How exciting it was to read through 1 Peter 1 and half of 2 today with Neil's sermon! I feel like I did the day I put on a pair of prescription glasses for the first time. Now I get what was going on in 1 Peter when last week I was picking up on the fact that we are chosen for obedience and holiness (vs. 1-2 and 14-16). Obedience is our part of the equation and holiness is setting ourselves apart for the pursuit of His character through our obedience. Last week I would have read (1:16)"YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY" and thought "Yeah, right." Or how about (2:12) "Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us."(NIV) Last week these verses would have been entered into my file of Things God Commands Me To Do That Are Outright Impossible For Me To Fulfill. While it is true that I can't in myself, I now understand that when He says, "BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY" He means, be holy, because as His child that is MY IDENTITY as I am made in His image. I didn't even really understand what being holy even meant. I knew the definition of holy was "set apart," but how I was supposed to make myself set apart was not something I tangibly understood: Pursuing the character of God by learning what His holy character is and practicing those qualities to understand who I really am made to be. "Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles" is Him telling me to practice His true and excellent character in my life, because that will add up to His glory!
Here was another good one: (2:4-6) "And coming to Him (Jesus Christ) as to a living stone...you also, as living stones, (our identity is in His image--He is as a living stone, so we "also" are as living stones) are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."(NASB) Who we are, the church's identity, is like godly stones that are built into a holy temple to God that together offer sacrifices that please Him. "BEHOLD I LAY IN ZION A CHOICE STONE, A PRECIOUS CORNER STONE"(NASB): Jesus Christ is our temple's corner stone. What an amazing thing it is, I'm sure, that believers pursuing Christ's character are when you put them together. (See also Ephesians 2:20-22)

Two things Pastor Neil said made me want to scream, "YES!" (I didn't, they just made me want to :D):
#1 At the end of the sermon he said, "This is who we ARE." ..."YES!"
#2 At the end of the meeting he said he really feels a call to get people in "small groups to study God's Word to get to know God better."..."YES!"
Now, if people were able to see that the character of God which they are studying IS their identity too (in His image), and pursue the practice of His character--What awesomeness!!!!!!!!



New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation

New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by Biblica

Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation



1 comment:

The Shimizu Family said...

Sister, It was so refreshing to read about your excitment! I loved all the scriptures that you included to help us follow your journey. I think I might have mentioned this to you on the phone, but I thought I would send it to you too as I was able to follow you much more clearly when I could read your story rather than try to listen while we have six little ones running all around us. What you are learning is a beautiful truth that I think will open your eyes to even much more of the bible. The terms that we use to study this aspect of character/identity are the verbal moods of indicative and imperative. The imperative mood gives commands for us, but in order for us to do these commands we must first understand the indicative moods that state who we are. Romans is a fantastic book to walk through with this in mind. It really helps me to see who I am in Christ. It is through his perfect life, death, and resurrection that I am able to live in obedience. For it is Christ's righteousness that is imputed to us that allows us to live a life that brings glory to the Almighty. I want to keep reading your pursuit to know our good God more dearly. I love you.